If you go to the UK on a student visitor visa, child visitor visa, or prospective student visa, you will not be eligible to work in the UK. For the latest detailed information visit : UKBA website.

Important information on new rules:

  • Those graduating from a UK university with a recognized degree, PGCE, or PGDE will be able to switch into Tier 2.
  • There will not be a limit on these switchers.
  • They will only be able to switch if they are in the UK, before their student visa expires.
  • The normal Tier 2 requirements will apply, except for the Resident Labor Market Test.
  • Genuine student entrepreneurs with a great idea are able to stay on in the UK to develop their business proposition.

Current Rules:

On completion of studies, student can acquire two years work permit in the UK under Post Study Work Permit scheme with Point Based System.

The Points Based System (PBS) is a system for managing migration for those wishing to enter the UK for work or study. Tier 1 (General) Migrant of the Points Based System was launched for foreign nationals living in the UK on 29 February 2008 and replaced the Highly Skilled Migrant Program (HSMP).


Studying At Part time job allowed During course

(Hrs per week)

Maximum Work Placement/ Internship possible in the Course

(Study: Work Ratio)

Students at recognized bodies(Universities) 20 Hrs 50:50
Students at Publicly funded FE colleges 10 Hrs Not Specified Yet
Others (E.g. Private or Highly Trusted College) Nil 66:33