nz-student visa policy


  • 1. International students who have graduated from a course that would gain points under Skilled Migrant Category are Eligible for a 1 year open work permit(not six months).
  • 2. Once Graduates have gained work this way, they can go on to apply for either a post-study 2 year work permit or, proceed directly to apply for residency under the Skilled Migrant Category.
  • 3. Students are eligible to work up to 20 hours a week.
  • 4. Anyone undertaking a course of 12 months or more are able to apply to work full-time over the summer holidays.
  • 5. Partners of students studying in areas of absolute skill shortage and partners of all postgraduate students are able to apply for an open work permit valid for the duration of the student's course of study.