The acadamic year is from mid / late February to early November and most Universities have 2 semesters with a holiday of 4 weeks in June. Each University operates slightly different dates and some also offer summer school in the main holiday period in November to February. Intakes are in February, July and sometimes in September.

English Language Requirements

All students must be fluent in English language if they are to succeed at university in New Zealand. There are many courses available at public and private institutions in New Zealand and elsewhere to assist international students reach the required level of English language competence. We can recommend waiver of IELTS / TOEFL wherever possible. A band of 6.0/6.5 for undergraduate & 6.5 / 7.5 for postgraduate courses is desirable.


Documents needed for making an application are resume, statement of purpose, mark sheets & certificates of X, XII, till Graduation or relevant degree transcripts in specific cases, Certificates of extra curricular activities and passport copy, birth certificate & 2 reference letters from colleges & employers.


All qualifications on the NZQF contain an outcome statement which describes the knowledge, skills and attributes of a graduate.

Different learners will achieve the outcomes in different ways, so outcome statements are an indicator of the minimum achievement expected from a qualification.

Each outcome statement includes the following:

  • Graduate profiles that identify the expected learning outcomes of a qualification. This is captured in notions of what a learner will know, understand and be able to do when they achieve the qualification.
  • Education pathways that identify other qualifications that a graduate can enrol in after completing this qualification. Where qualifications are stand-alone and do not prepare graduates for further study, the outcome statement should make this clear
  • Employment pathways (or contribution to the community) that identify the areas in which a graduate may be qualified to work, or the contribution they may make to their community.


All qualifications listed on the NZQF must display and maintain clear information on the status using the following definitions:

  • Current: Qualifications that are current are those listed on the NZQF and can be offered by tertiary education organizations.
  • Expiring: Qualifications that are expiring are those either being replaced with a new qualification or the decision has been made for them to be closed. This will normally be as a result of a review. The qualification may continue to be available to existing students while they complete the programme of study or training path, but no new learners are able to enrol. A time limit will apply to the expiry period.
  • Discontinued: Qualifications designated as discontinued will no longer be available or awarded.


You are eligible to work part time, while studying full time, under certain circumstances

  To meet course requirements for practical work experience, or

  During the Christmas and New Year holiday period if you are in a full-time course of study lasting 12 months or longer, and/or

  For up to 20 hours in any given week during the academic year if you are in full-time study:

  • At a private training establishment or tertiary institution and taking at least two academic years to complete, or
  • Culminating in a New Zealand qualification that would qualify for points under the Skilled Migrant Category, or
  • At a secondary school full year course of study in years 12 or 13, provided you have written permission from your school and written consent from your parent, or
  • In a full-time study course, lasting for at least six months, at a private training establishment or tertiary institution. You should satisfy your visa or immigration officer that the main purpose of your course of study is to develop English language skills. You should have an International English Language Testing System (IELTS) overall band score of 5.0 or above (General or Academic Module), or
  • At a tertiary level of at least one academic year duration as part of an approved tertiary student exchange scheme.

Undergraduate Students:
  • Students having completed their undergraduate degree and having received an employment offer, relevant to their degree, can be entitled to a Work Permit of up to 2 years, to work in the position offered.
  • Students undertaking long term tertiary studies in programs, of at least 2 years will have their student visas endorsed with a condition that they can work for up to 15 hours each week. However if these students wish to work full-time in the long summer holiday they must apply to the New Zealand Immigration Service for a Variation of Terms to allow them to work. A job offer is not required for obtaining the Variation and can work in any job. Students generally earn NZ$8-NZ$10 per hour, during part time work.

Postgraduate Students:
  • Students who have completed their postgraduate degree and who receive an employment offer relevant to their degree can be entitled to a Work Permit of up to 2 years to work in the position offered.
  • Students undertaking postgraduate programs would have their student visas endorsed with a condition that they can work for up to 15 hours each week. But if these students want to work full-time in the summer holidays, they need to apply to the New Zealand Immigration Service for a Variation of Terms and can work in any job. Student normally earns NZ$8-NZ$10 per hour during part time work.